Monday, May 21, 2007

Majorca



I am lucky enough to be on ‘training camp’ for a brief 4 day trip to Majorca. This island off the east coast of Spain is a favourite training place for German cyclists in particular. All the other girls in my team have been here between 10 and 20 times each and find it unbelievable that I have never ventured to Majorca to train….but I don’t have a winter to escape, and I have to say Sydney offers many of the same draw cards of Majorca…warm weather, beaches, good roads to train on, mountains to venture into. So far I have seen many British pubs and restaurants but not much traditional Spanish fare. We are on the east coast of Majorca, about 80km from the capital of Palma and apparently very popular with German and British tourists….many of them older than 60 and with skin that I would have to say is on par with well-worn leather. Many of the old men are wandering through the hotel in their speedo equivalents, bellys hanging out and looking at us like we’re freaks as we are decked out in our lycra….quite funny!
We are here to attend a seminar by German doctor, Dr Strunz about “Creativity and High Performance”…or that is as what my translation of the whole thing is….we train in the mornings and attend the seminar in the afternoon/evenings. We are staying right on the beach, I am writing this, watching the Giro d’Italia live on tv and looking out at the blue/green water. It is lovely to be back on the coast, breathing in that lovely salty air….something I have missed since living in the middle of the European continent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nattie, Majorca looks like a tough place to be buddy!!Beauitful! ;-) Hope you have a great couple of days, luv Mich xx

pedro said...

Hello Natalie. My name is Pedro and I live in Majorca, in Porto-Crsto. I Knew your sister, Kate, in the world Championship 2007 and from this moment I follow yours races and blogs. I hopte you like Majorca. Good luck, Bye. pedrofullanabarcelo@hotmail.com