Saturday, December 06, 2008

Saint Nikolaus Day



Today is Saint Nikolaus day in Germany.  Last night before bed we had to clean a pair of shoes and put them out for St Nikolaus.  The way it goes is that if you have been good throughout the year and cleaned your shoes then St Nikolaus puts a treat in them.  I think this is a big day for the kiddies but I thought it was great as well....what fun....more presents!! 

I must have been good this year because I did well from St Nikolaus, apart from the customary chocolate Weihnactsmann (think chocolate easter bunny but in the shape of Santa Claus) and Lebkuchen (yummy German Christmas time cookie) I got a beautiful ceramic Engel (angel) and a book - 'Crime and Punishment' by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.  I've been wanting to read some Dostoyevsky but haven't had a chance until now....lucky that St Nik can read thoughts :)

No comments: