Thursday, December 04, 2008

Winter Wonderland




Yet again I begin this blog lamenting the fact that it has been so long since my last one.  So much has happened since I last wrote and I haven't really had the chance to sit down and put pen to paper, or fingers to the keyboard!

I have now officially retired as a professional cyclist...my last race was the World Championships at the end of September.  Since then I have had holidays in Spain, some time back in Germany, five weeks back in Australia and now I'm back here in Germany for some quality time with my boy, his family and the Christmas holidays.

I expected to have quite an identity crisis when hanging up the bike (not that I haven't been riding at all).  I have been a cyclist for a greater proportion of my life than not, and this has been the guiding force for the twists and turns of my life for the last ten years.  Fortunately, I have found that this hasn't been the case and I have been enjoying the freedom and time to do other things....go hiking for the day, go away for a few days to visit friends without my bike as well as have more time for family and friends.  I'm sure some of the jittery feelings will come back to me once the racing season starts but I have plenty of goals for the future and hopefully after a good bunch ride or two I will be grateful to not be racing over the cobblestones of Belgium.  

I have some work lined up to begin at the start of February but until then I can enjoy myself (although there is much studying to be done!), and enjoy my time in Europe.  I'm not sure when I will be back which is a strange thought in itself!

Here are some photos from my first night back in Germany, at the Erfurter Weihnachtsmarkt (Erfurt Christmas markets)....after you've thrown back a Gluehwein (a German version of mulled wine made with red wine which is heated and spiced with cinnamon, vanilla, cloves, citrus and sugar) or two, you're warm enough to spend hours walking around exploring the markets.

No comments: